We consider the immediate postpartum time to be one of the most important time of the childbirth experience. We call it the "Golden Hour". From the moment of birth, you and your baby are not separated. We check you and your baby closely but routine exams and procedures wil wait until baby is done. These can be done with baby in your arms or close to you.
Standard newborn procedures:
- Initial newborn exam
- Vitamin K (injectable or oral)
- Erythromycin eye ointment
- Critical Congenital Heart Disease Screening
- Newborn Metabolic Screening (PKU) (on day 1 or 2)
- Newborn Hearing Test (referred out)