Homebirth For Moms
Homebirth for the mother
- She is not subjected to routine procedures such as immobilization for electronic monitoring, IV’s, multiple vaginal exams or stirrups.
- She can eat and walk freely.
- She will have continuity of care with the same attendants, increasing safety.
- She is more likely to be treated and her progress evaluated as an individual, rather than being sacrificed to protocols or statistical averages.
- She is much less likely to request or require drugs for pain, forceps or a cesarean section when she has attendants who know that birth is a normal physiological function.
- She is comfortable in her own surroundings, relaxed and able to labor and deliver wherever she chooses.
- She has less chance of developing an infection.
- Postpartum depression is less common since there is no separation of mother and baby and the midwife relationship/support continues well after the birth.